  From: mos
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 5:20 PM
  Subject: Re: About database design

  At 04:40 PM 3/28/2003, you wrote:
  >Where can a newbie go to learn how design and build a database quick.
  >
  >Thanks
  >
  >David

  David,
           That's like saying to a sales person at a home center mega store,
  "How do I design an build a house real quick". Well, it takes time to
learn
  database design and MySQL. If you make a mistake with the database, the
  walls and roof aren't going to fall in on you, but sometimes it just feels
  that way.<g>

           To get started may I suggest Paul Dubois excellent book called
  "MySQL 2nd Edition".

           The MySQL manual is also quite

good.http://www.mysql.com/downloads/download.php?file=/Downloads/Manual/manu
al.pdf#mirrors

           You also need a GUI tool for MySQL unless you want to use SQL
  scripts to build your database. Try MySQLFront which is free but
  discontinued. Download from
  http://efux.de/mysqlfront/MySQL-Front_2.5_Setup.exe.

           There is also SQLyog which is another MySQL admin tool from
  http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/index.html. That is also free.

           MS also had a pretty good case tool Visio Modeler which has
plenty
  of docs on how to design a database. Download from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=27fe6786-a439-4286-
b8b6-7a9b84cfa709&DisplayLang=en

           So the only thing that isn't free here is Paul's book. (Why is
  that Paul?<VBG>)

  Mike