I'm learning the ropes with MySQL. I've got it installed on a WinME
system, and one of the first things I've noticed is that it doesn't
seem to care about users. Is that correct? In particular, I've tried
out the GRANT command to create a new user, but MySQL doesn't seem
to recognize the new user. Here's what happens:

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>mysqld

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.0.12-max-debug

mysql> create database dummy;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.44 sec)

mysql> grant select on dummy.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'blah';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.28 sec)

mysql> quit
Bye

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>mysqladmin flush-privileges

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>mysql -u dumdum -p dummy
Enter password: ****
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>

I've tried to be very careful to make sure that the password is correct :-)
I don't know if the fault lies in using "localhost" instead of "127.0.0.1"
for the host part of the user. I'd have thought that "localhost" and
"127.0.0.1" would be synonymous...

However, if I try to mess with any kind of passwords, I get difficulties.
For example, I don't get to set a password for root:

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>mysqladmin -u root password temp

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>mysql -u root
Your MySQL connection id is 6 to server version: 4.0.12-max-debug

mysql>

Notice that mysql let user root in without asking for a password, even
though I used mysqladmin to set a password. (In the book I'm using,
"MySQL Visual Quickstart Guide" by Ullman, the password is supposed to
be in single quotes, but in the mysqladmin help output, there are no
quotes. I've tried it both ways, and neither has the expected effect.)

I used winmysqladmin, which prompted me for a user name and password.
But mysql lets me in without giving a password for that user, either.

For that matter, mysql will let in any user, even if they haven't been
created by any method I know of:

C:\Program Files\mysql40\bin>mysql -u nooneknowsme
Your MySQL connection id is 9 to server version: 4.0.12-max-debug

mysql>

What's going on here? Is the password stuff broken, or is it the fault
of me working on Windows ME?
--
Helge Moulding
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                Just another guy