From: "Michael Shulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 9:24 AM
Subject: RE: Passwords don't work in a WinME installation?

Start reading here:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Privileges.html

and read to 4.2.10.

Two tips I found useful:
1. The current_user() function tells you what MySQL user name it thinks that
you are. This can be used to verify if you are an authenticated user.
mysql> SELECT current_user();

2. Remove unneeded rows from the user table. For my installation, I removed
all rows except 'root' logging in on the local machine:

mysql> use mysql;
mysql> delete from user where user != 'root';
mysql> delete from user where host != 'localhost';
mysql> flush privileges;
mysql> select user, password, host from user;
| user      | host      | password         |
| root      | localhost | xxxxxxxxxxxx     |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

If you have a line that has an empty username or % for hostname, this will
make diagnosing your security issues difficult.

-ms