The contents of the user file are attached. The user name is testit and there is no password. This is server version 3.23.52, the version that came with the Red Hat 8 distribution.

I entered mysql -utestit then USE mysql; and got
ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@local host' to database 'mysql'
Why no user name before the @?

Additionally, I tried to access mysql remotely with an app known to work on other installations of mysql and got, on the Linux machine running mysqld,
/usr/bin/safe_mysql: line 273: 840 Segmentation fault
... output omitted

Number of processes running now: 1
mysqld process hanging, pid 843 - killed
030402 09:02:24  mysqld restarted

Is this distribution any good?

Eldon Ziegler President ProAtion Systems, Inc. www.proation.com
localhost       root            Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
 Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
UtilServer      root            Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
 Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
localhost                       N       N       N       N       N       N       N
 N       N       N       N       N       N       N
UtilServer                      N       N       N       N       N       N       N
 N       N       N       N       N       N       N
%       testit          Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
 Y       Y       N       Y       Y       Y