On Wednesday 02 April 2003 17:19, Eldon Ziegler wrote:
> The contents of the user file are attached. The user name is testit and
> there is no password. This is server version 3.23.52, the version that came
> with the Red Hat 8 distribution.
>
> I entered mysql -utestit then USE mysql; and got
> ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@local host' to database 'mysql'
> Why no user name before the @?

Because you connect to the MySQL server as anonymous user. From the manual:

Note: if you allow anonymous users to connect to the MySQL server, you should
also grant privileges to all local users as [EMAIL PROTECTED] because otherwise
the anonymous user entry for the local host in the mysql.user table will be
used when the user tries to log into the MySQL server from the local machine!

> Additionally, I tried to access mysql remotely with an app known to work on
> other installations of mysql and got, on the Linux machine running mysqld,
> /usr/bin/safe_mysql: line 273: 840 Segmentation fault
> ... output omitted
>
> Number of processes running now: 1
> mysqld process hanging, pid 843 - killed
> 030402 09:02:24  mysqld restarted
>
> Is this distribution any good?

Try to add

set-variable = thread_stack=256K

to the [mysqld] section of my.cnf.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com