Has anyone successfully installed "mysql-max-4.0.12" on OS X?

I've been trying for three days to set the root password and nothing I try seems to work. I'm a total unix newbie but I did go out and buy a Unix book and think I have enough of a feel for it to follow printed directions. It seems to launch ok but when I try to create new databases I get the following error:

mysql> create test;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'test' at line 1

Not sure whether this is a problem, but running mysql> show databases; the terminal seems to hang. The absence of the "mysql" database seems to be a bad thing as the documentation clearly states "mysql database is required because it describes user access privileges" does this indicate a fatal install error? Is there a way to roll this file by hand?

Thanks

Seriously puzzled newbie