1) Can you recommend some good online tutorials for learning the basics of MYSQL? (I can't even say I know exactly what it is; I think of it as some sort of language used to create "special effects" or special functions, similar to JavaScript.)

If you found this list then you should have found information about MySQL.
It's a database server ment for running relational databases. (short and simple explanation).

You can use languages like Perl, PHP, Python and C to retrieve information.
Tutorials:
www.php.net -->links->tutorials
www.devshed.com
www.mysql.com
www.google.com (search)
search this lists archive since it holds many many many other links.
YOu will find hundreds of links if you search google.

I'm not certain exactly what form this function will eventually take, but I'm just exploring ways to list vast amounts of data that are searchable, sortable or can be manipulated in other ways. If this can be done with MYSQL, can you give me an idea of how to get started? Is there a name for this function, a tutorial that describes it, or a webpage on the Internet that I can use as a model?

You can do this with any language mentioned above.

3) Is a knowledge of MYSQL a great help in finding jobs and roughly how long does it take most people to acquire a working knowledge of it? With my skills, I don't expect to become a MYSQL pro any time soon, but I just wondered if even a basic knowledge might help with job searches.

Depends on what a company is looking for. Some basic knowledge usually isn't enough.

B.