Dear Edward,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your informaton. Do you have by chance
also any practical samples ?

f.e Until which table size might it be better to use f.e MyISAM  and when
would you use another format  (Heap or a TST table ?

f.e When you have have mostly read only access to data and the amount fits
into the memory easily than you could think about using a HEAP type etc.

How big should the query cache be compared to the table size ?

I believe that what I am looking for is practical samples - or some rough
guidelines whats known to work good.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan

-----
MyISAM is the default MySQL table type.  This is the table type of choice for
tables whose primary activity comes from SELECT statements.  There is no need
for transaction-safe tables unless INSERT, UPDATE, and/or DELETE actions will
be
performed frequently.  Remember that with transaction-safe tables comes an
increase in the amount of system resources needed to use those table types.

BDB table type is a usable, transaction-safe table type, but it is not the
most
optimized table type in the mix.  BDB tables support the basic elements of
transactions as well as the AUTOCOMMIT variable, but are not as popular or as
developed as the InnoDB or Gemini types.

InnoDB is the more popular and stable transaction-safe table type in
open-source
MySQL and was designed specifically for high performance with large volumes of
data, as well as overall CPU efficiency.  Like BDB, support for it did not
appear until v3.23.34.

Gemini tables are available only in NuSphere's Enhanced MySQL and not in the
open source version of MySQL.

All of the above is paraphrased from SAMS "Teach Yourself MySQL in 24 Hrs."
Who
knew that book would actually come in handy.

Edward Dudlik
Becoming Digital
www.becomingdigital.com