On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 05:05:38PM -0700, Chris Tucker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into an issue on MySQL 4.0.12 (not tested on other
> releases) using an InnoDB table type, where an update query is
> getting written to the query log but never being propogated as far
> as the binlog.  The query is also not updating the DB, though
> according to the connection layer (PEAR DB) it is affecting rows as
> one would expect.  Running the query through a command line (logged
> in as the same user, from the same box, etc.) works as expected,
> writing to the query log, updating the DB, and then writing to the
> binlog.

Hmm.

The fact that the it doesn't show up in the binlog *and* it never
affects you data is good.  That means the binlog is working
properly. :-)

> At present it seems the failure to write to the binlog is almost
> certainly because something is failing between the arrival of the
> query at the DB server (as signified by the entry in the query log)
> and the committing of the data (as would be signified by the data
> being appropriately modified and the binlog being written to).

Agreed.

> My question is essentially: what could fail between these steps that
> would: 1) not be reported back to the calling agent 2) not be logged
> to the db error log 3) not happen when running directly through the
> MySQL command-line client but happen when running through an
> (admittedly rather questionable) PHP library when the queries
> received by the DB are verifiably the same in every apparent aspect
> (through inspection of the query log).

The first thing that comes to mind is that the abstraction layer
you're using "forgets" to COMMIT the data, so InnoDB rolls it back and
never write the query to the binlog.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.8: up 114 days, processed 3,574,615,610 queries (360/sec. avg)