-->-----Original Message-----
-->From: Ross Simpson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 10:31 AM
-->To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->Subject: table copying/replication
-->
-->Hello,
-->
-->I have a need for fast copying of a specific table from a master
mysql
-->server to a number of slave servers (say 5).
Create the table on the master and if the master and slave config is
working then the same table will be on the slave.

-->
-->The database in question could potentially have up to 2000 tables,
and
-->at any time, one of those tables would need to be copied to all 5 of
the
-->slaves, upon command of the master.
Make sure you have enough inodes that's 6000 files that will be opened.
Also set your ulimit high enough to open all the files.

Replication will perform the same action on the slaves as initiated by
the master. There is no need for a copy.

-->I also looked at doing table copies (insert into .. select * from
..),
-->but these seem pretty slow.
It's building the index on the fly as well, if there are indexes on the
dst table. It does have to scan the src table and for every row insert
it into the dst table. You can tweak you're my.cnf values to make that
operation happen faster.

-->
-->Has anyone solved this problem before?  Any ideas that would help
out?
-->

Yes, the mysql team with replication.

-->