Sonia Ghadially <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Dear Sir/Madam:
>
> My company is thinking of using MySQL for our production reporting data
> warehouse.
>
> Could you please tell me:
>
> 1)
> What is the latest release of MySQL, and what is the latest stable release
> of MySQL?

Go to http://www.mysql.com/downloads/index.html. You will always find an
updated answer here.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News.html

> MySQL 3.23.39 debug (what does debug mean?)

>From WordNet (r) 1.7.1 (July 2002) [wn]:

  debug
       v : locate and correct errors in a computer program code; "debug
           this program"

The debug versions of mysql have information which makes debugging
easier.

> MySQL 3.22.29 debug
>  MySQL 4.0.6 gamma (what does gamma mean?)

"almost stable"

> MySQL 4.1.0 alpha standard (what does alpha standard mean?)

An alpha release is the first release that might actually work and be
useful in some way (development, etc). Alpha releases are very seldom
stable, though.

--
Per Andreas Buer