On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:43:12 -0700 Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 07:26:36PM -0500, mos wrote:
> >
> > >We've managed to reproduce this pretty reliably at Yahoo and are
> > >working to track and fix the bug.  If we find a resolution, I'll post
> > >a note here.
> >
> > There have been a few threads regarding high CPU utilization on
> > FreeBSD systems.
>
> Yeah, I mostly ingored them because I thought it was a fluke.
> But it happens much more than I had thought.

It's still happening on the site I first reported it on. We're currently
running max-4.0.11-gamma, but the problem has been present since 3.x.
FreeBSD 4.4 and 4.5.

> > The 2nd processor may be causing the problem.
>
> We can reproduce it on a single CPU box too.  The number of
> CPUs isn't the issue.

Same here. One or more CPUs makes _no_ difference. Load seems to factor in,
though.

Since I made my original post
<http://lists.mysql.com/list.php?list=mysql&post=107745>, I've moved the
load (web site access tracking ++) from the single-CPU machine to the SMP
machine. The problem moved right along with the load.

> > You may want to contact the original authors to see if they've come
> > up with a solution.
>
> I likely will.  Thanks.
>
> Jeremy

Any news?

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult     | Open Source activist
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | Jaguar enthusiast