We had the same problem. Upgrading Freebsd to 4.8 and recompiling MySQL to work with Linux style threads seemed to work. The MySQLd process no longer pops up to ~90% on each request. However, with the application we're running that queries the database (Request Tracker 3), we still get process bloat with certain queries (searches mostly). But, this problem doesn't come up with any other application, or with manual querys of the database, so we think it's a bug in the app.
Lalo