On 07-Jun-2003 Andre wrote:

<snip>

Please don't hi-jack threads.
By replying to a message and changing the subject, you screw-up the
threading features of most mail clients.

If you want to start a new thread then please start with a new message.

<snip>

> 1) Any ideas where I might begin to look to find out what is the
> problem? Yeah, i'm already considering getting a different host for my
> domain since alot of the back end stuff I care about fails to work at
> this host -- but their uptime for my web pages is so good.
>
> 2) Are there any common configuration/installation/user errors that
> contribute to a database not accepting data in the rows?

A. register_globals is turned off, so the the global variables aren't set.

B. The php user does not have 'Insert' privileges.
    run SHOW GRANTS FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> 3) what else might you suggest?

A. Use mysql_query() || die(mysql_error()) construct instead of
   guessing at what the error is.

    $qry="INSERT INTO foo VALUES('$bar', '$baz', '$bohica')";
    $res=mysql_query($qry) ||
      die ('<P>Error :<BR>' .mysql_errno .' ' .mysql_error() .'<P>');

B. add a debug function:

    function debug($fl, $ln, $msg='') {
        global $debugon;

        if ($debugon)) {
            printf("\n<!-- Debug %s %s:\n", $fl , $ln);
            print_r($msg);
            echo "\n -->\n";
        }
    }

    $debugon=1;

    $qry="INSERT INTO foo VALUES('$bar', '$baz', '$bohica')";
    debug(__FILE__, __LINE__, $qry);

Then look at page source to see if the query is what you think it is.

<snip>

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to