>>I don't see why it should be a problem. Data files are binary compatible
between
>>OS's, and by definition, one instance of mysqld will be shut down while
the
other
>>operates on the data.

>>Of course "copying" rather than "moving" is always a good recommendation
until
>>you're sure that everything works as expected. Especially if you are using
InnoDB,
>>you'll want to make sure that you have the config files exactly right on
both OSs.

>>- Rich

Well, I managed to sort it myself after all - much easier than I thought. I
made a copy of all my datafiles to D:/mysql/data. In the my.ini file on
Windows I set:
        datadir = D:/mysql/data
In the my.cnf file on Linux I set:
        datadir = /share/mysql/data (or something like that - running WinXP at the
mo' so can't check).

And that was it! And I thought computing was difficult. The next challenge
is getting Apache & MySQL to start up at boot time in Linux. The manual
talks about /etc/rc.d but SuSE uses /etc/init.d and a bunch of
sub-directories for different run levels, all of which is making my head
spin right now. But I'll get there...