From: "Mike Hillyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mojtaba Faridzad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 1:38 PM
Subject: RE: INT type

The 11 is the display width and does not affect the size of values that
can be stored in the column. Here is a quote from
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Numeric_types.html:

------BEGIN QUOTE------
As an extension to the ANSI/ISO SQL92 standard, MySQL also supports the
integer types TINYINT, MEDIUMINT, and BIGINT as listed in the tables
above. Another extension is supported by MySQL for optionally specifying
the display width of an integer value in parentheses following the base
keyword for the type (for example, INT(4)). This optional width
specification is used to left-pad the display of values whose width is
less than the width specified for the column, but does not constrain the
range of values that can be stored in the column, nor the number of
digits that will be displayed for values whose width exceeds that
specified for the column. When used in conjunction with the optional
extension attribute ZEROFILL, the default padding of spaces is replaced
with zeroes. For example, for a column declared as INT(5) ZEROFILL, a
value of 4 is retrieved as 00004. Note that if you store larger values
than the display width in an integer column, you may experience problems
when MySQL generates temporary tables for some complicated joins, as in
these cases MySQL trusts that the data did fit into the original column
width.
------END QUOTE------

Regards,
Mike Hillyer