I have been plowing through the mysql.com resources for something regarding
the run-time
configuration options as well as the my.cnf.  In particular, I am trying to
move the entire information store to a separate hard-drive.

This line confuses me:

---> Note that this is the directory that was specified at configuration
time, not the one specified with --datadir when mysqld starts up!

It is from:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Option_files.html

DATADIR is the MySQL data directory (typically `/usr/local/mysql/data' for a
binary installation or `/usr/local/var' for a source installation). Note
that this is the directory that was specified at configuration time, not the
one specified with --datadir when mysqld starts up! (--datadir has no effect
on where the server looks for option files, because it looks for them before
it processes any command-line arguments.)

If anyone can explain that line, possibly point me to a good reference to
the my.cnf and runtime options, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks