At 20:23 -0700 6/11/03, T R O D A T wrote:
Hello all,

In version 3.23.X we had a script running:

1 - Create a temp table from imported cdf files.
2 - Select into the production table using criteria.
3 - Use production table.

-- On a duplicate record, for some reason our Oracle folks think this is
acceptable, the duplicate record was ignored and the (No 2.) query
continued.

Now with 4.0.13 the same script does the following:

1 - Create temp files from imported cdf files.
2 - Insert into production table from temp. **FAILS ON DUPLICATE RECORD**
3 - Use production data with limited data.

Was this by design in the 3.x.x -> 4.x.x or am I missing a cnf file
setting that may make this go back to the way it was.

In 3.23, INSERT INTO t1 ... SELECT ... FROM t2 ... was implicitly treated as INSERT IGNORE, which was incorrect. This has been corrected in 4.0.

Hm...this doesn't seem to be listed in the change notes, so I'm not
sure of the exact version when this changed.

NOTE: We are going to use replace, but we do have to answer for 'why did your system not work when ours does...' questions.

Rob.

You could also add an explicit IGNORE to the INSERT.

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/