Becoming Digital wrote:
If I interpret correctly, you'd like to to read sensor data (not in ASCII
format) as FLOATs and insert it into a database on the fly without an
intermediary.  While this may be possible, perhaps there's a better solution.

There is an intermediary which is doing the inserting. Correct everything is in floating point, as numerous calculations are/were performed.

I would suggest reading the data to a file (which you must be able to do any
way) for the duration of your test.  When the test is complete, parse the data
and do a batch insert into the database.  MySQL will report the number of rows
recorded, which can act as your polling system.

A flight is 10 hours, I'm trying to provide people with a network based solution for getting at the data in near real-time.

If you are able to provide more details about your application, perhaps we can
be of more help.  Most significant is likely the data format coming from your
sensors.

We have a distributed data system on an airplane which collects data and sends raw data once a second to a data logger where it is recorded to disk. A data processor picks up the data, processes it and now needs to make the data available to client display programs. The plane can have upwards of 15 [outside users] scientists who may have there own laptops and display programs. So the problem I'm trying to solve is what is the easiest or most universal way to make the data available.

SQL seemed rather ubiquitous. My thought was to have our processor dump the data into a database and then anyone could poll for new values.....

--Chris

Greetings,
   I'm new to databases, but I am considering one for soft real-time
data recording of scientific data.  Then any client/display program
can grab data.

I'll be recording 300-500 variables/columns per second for about 10
hours at a stretch.  All variables are floats.

a)  Is there a way to insert/write floats to the DB without converting
to ASCII first?  Seems expensive.

b)  I'm still wading through the documentation, but what would be the
prefered method for polling to see if a new row has been written?  I
assume there is no notification process available from the server....

TIA for any pointers.