If you have the sgi_fam, you could place a file in a directoy everytime
you add a row.  the sgi_fam module would inform your app that there was a
change on the filesystem.  When the notification is made, your app can
then get the new value from the database.

I believe that one user suggested that you have a status flag for a row.
Your app could reset the flag when it retrieves the row.

record_status enum("0","1");

$time = select now() from table;
select * from table where record_status = "1";
update records set status = "0" where timestamp_column < $time;

Curtis