# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-06-16 15:27:21 +0200:

> I'm trying to use 4.1.0-alpha's "extensive unicode support".

    [...]

> Now I try to read the data, this time from the commandline client:
>
>     mysql> select * from unitest WHERE ID=72;
>     +----+-----------+-----------+
>     | ID | vc        | t         |
>     +----+-----------+-----------+
>     | 72 | ABcÎ????? | ABcÎ????? |
>     +----+-----------+-----------+
>     1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> doesn't look good in e-mail (no unicode here),

    that is a matter of the Content-Type: header.

> doesn't look good in my commanline client either (no unicode there).

    that is a matter of the font your terminal uses and your locale
    settings.

> but *something' is in there, and it's the same in the varchar and in
> the text field.  I find that encouraging.
>
> now i want to search in the unicode string:
>
>     mysql> select * from unitest WHERE vc LIKE 'A%';
>     ERROR 1210: Wrong arguments to like
>     mysql> select * from unitest WHERE t LIKE 'A%';
>     ERROR 1210: Wrong arguments to like

    What happens if you set the charset of your connection to utf8
    prior to running the queries, or change them to

    SELECT * FROM unitest WHERE <colname> LIKE CONVERT(_latin1'A%' USING utf8)

    ? Note: I don't know anything about this, just skimmed the manual,
    so it might quite possibly be all wrong.