hi!

i had some trouble inserting utf-8 unicode into a table
in mysql 4.1.0.alpha.  i creat the table with

        CREATE TABLE chartab (
        ) TYPE=MyISAM CHARSET=utf8;

then I tried to insert utf-8 data, using a file with sql statements:

    mysql --default-character-set=utf8 test < test-insert.sql

but all i ever got was latin1 in my table. specifying
--default-character-set on the comman line didn't help,
using SET CHARACTER SET utf8 and/or SET NAMES utf8
as the first sql-command did not help.

The only way I got it to work correctly is using the CONVERT function
for every utf8 string:

    INSERT INTO chartab VALUES (... CONVERT(_utf8'blabla' USING utf8) ...);

where blabla is a utf-8 string.

if you're intrested in the details:
http://perlwelt.horus.at/Beispiele/Magic/PerlUnicodeMysql/

thanks to all the people on the lsit who helped me!

--
Brigitte        'I never met a chocolate I didnt like'        Jellinek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         http://www.horus.com/~bjelli/