At 02:46 PM 6/17/2003 -0400, Kerry Colligan wrote:
I think I mentioned this. The problem is, I need reproducible results from
both web interface AND command line. If I implement the triggers in PHP, I
only get the results from the web.

I would recommend that you build application objects in java to connect to your MySQL database (this is what we do). In the end you can build a command line interface to your objects, or you can wrap them in a gui, or you can access them from the web using JSP. The application logic and data integrity model is then completely portable (relatively speaking).

I also recommend that you make use of transaction support in innodb tables so that your objects can enforce arbitrarily complex interactions without a risk of introducing data integrity problems.

This approach may also allow you to port your application to a different database server if that should ever be necessary. This is not always so easy when relying on embedded trigger and active SQL technologies in some databases.

_M

Pete McNeil (Madscientist)
President, MicroNeil Research Corporation