Thanks to all. Simon's response outlines the direction I will be headed.
KC

[snip]
The argument usually used by people looking for

- triggers
- functions + procedures
- foriegn keys

is the persuit of data integrity, and encapsulating business logic
within the
database.

Whilst this goal is noble, it can be fully achieved within the
application
code, and not in the database. Having this functionality within the
application has the following advantages

- database design is simpler
- database load is lower
- fewer locking problems
- testing data at application level is cleaner and more efficent than at
the
database.

Any argument that implementing the implementing business logic ONCE at
this
database is more efficient ignores the use of 3GL libraries.

I have worked on many projects with Oracle and MySQL, and I have always
found
implmenting business logic within the application more efficient. This
does
not mean triggers and procedures where not used, but complicating
business
logic that might cause a cascade of updates, inserts and deletes from
many
sources is always problematic.

As MySQL stands now, I would recommend running a daemon process, written
in
Perl (or other language), that could process new data. This has the
advantage
of being future proof, and eliminates the potential problems that
triggers
cause due to data inserts from multiple sources.

Simple create two table sets, one for loading data, and one for
processed
data. Have a perl daemon scan the load tables every 30s and process the
data
accordingly.
[/snip]

Much applause for your statements here Simon! It also makes the
applications much more portable. Well said.

Jay