Technically MD5/SHA1 are hashing algorithms and shouldn't be confused with encryption
algorithms like DES, 3DES or AES. From the looks of the document link you gave us it
seems that AES_ENCRYT is the way to go if you want to encrypt the data.

So the command would look something like this:
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,AES_ENCRYPT("text","password"));

So are you saying that the XXX_ENCRYPT function isn't to be used?