There are some good Mac clients to access MySQL. I personally use CocoaMySQL for much of my day to day activity. You can find them all on versiontracker.org. YourSQL looks okay too.

I agree though, the fancy interface, should you choose to use one of the above clients, is much more useful if you know some basics about how MySQL and Databases in general work. (Not assuming you don't, you may.) You'll need to use Terminal anyway to start the MySQL daemon. Marc Liyanage has some good documentation on MySQL on OS X. http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

I followed his instructions and it works beautifully on my machine.