At 14:33 +0700 6/22/03, Technik IT wrote:
Hi all - I'm trying to set up mysql on my Windows 2000 machine, but can't
figure out how to run mysql_install_db

On Windows, this program does not exist because it's unnecessary. It's used on Unix to initialize the data directory and the mysql database, but the data directory is included preinitialized in WIndows binary distributions.

I'm going to command prompt, starting the server, then typing in the command
but nothing is happening. Do I have the syntax wrong? Also, I notice that
there is no install file in my mysql\bin on my hard drive. Could it be that I
didn't download it correctly?  I have been able to run mysqladmin with no
problem - but i am getting "access denied" errors when I attempt to access
databases on my hard drive

That's odd. Are you trying to access your databases using the mysql client? Show us your mysqladmin and mysql commands.

 - that's why I'm assuming that I haven't run the
install script correctly. Any help greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Kirsten

Kirsten Belkhiria
Solutions Manager