I have an installation of MySQL where the data directory is located on an NFS share.
Client and server are connected by Full Duplex Gigabit Ethernet (both hosts run Linux
2.4.21). The NFS is exported with "sync" option.

Read performance is really fine, but when it comes to writing.... e.g. an ALTER TABLE
writes the temporary table it creates with a speed of ~25KB/sec.

- Is the poor write performance in sync mode related to how MySQL does its write
accesses (I guess, because for a plain file copy I get write rates of ~10MB/sec, which
is 400 times faster than MySQL writes)?
- Is there any possibility of speeding up things?
- What would be the risks of exporting the NFS share with the "async" option (the
MySQL write rate improves nearly by factor 1000 to ~20MB/sec then)?