On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:20:45AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have an installation of MySQL where the data directory is located
> on an NFS share. Client and server are connected by Full Duplex
> Gigabit Ethernet (both hosts run Linux 2.4.21). The NFS is exported
> with "sync" option.
>
> Read performance is really fine, but when it comes to
> writing.... e.g. an ALTER TABLE writes the temporary table it
> creates with a speed of ~25KB/sec.
>
> - Is the poor write performance in sync mode related to how MySQL
>  does its write accesses (I guess, because for a plain file copy I
>  get write rates of ~10MB/sec, which is 400 times faster than MySQL
>  writes)?

Wow.

Perhaps MySQL is writing in significantly smaller blocks than when you
copy a file.

> - Is there any possibility of speeding up things?

Apparently so...

> - What would be the risks of exporting the NFS share with the
>  "async" option (the MySQL write rate improves nearly by factor
>  1000 to ~20MB/sec then)?

The risk is lost data if the NFS server dies.  The MySQL server may
think that data was committed to disk that was not.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 24 days, processed 772,847,148 queries (365/sec. avg)