This is a shot in the dark, but perhaps you need to optimize your indexes. By default, MySQL assumes an even distribution of values for indexes. I'm not sure when it diverges from this default, I assume it does at some point. MySQL uses the data distribution values/assumptions to determine how to optimize a query.

Anyway, you can run myisamchk with the analyze option to have MySQL update it's value distribution for the indexes. This may or may not alter what decisions the MySQL optimizer works. I know a few people on this list have tried this "trick" and have seen considerable improvement in query speed.