Greetings,

I have installed MySQL 4.0.13 in a Windows 2000
machine. I am new to this and originally did the
install on a box that was secure from the internet and
ran some tests. I ran a forum software program and
also created a few databases on my own, all
successfully (although some troubleshooting was
generally required here and there=)

Now, I am preparing to move this to a production
server and am running into problems. I followed the
instructions on 'securing' the database and now
continually have problems with connecting to the
database.

In general, it does not seem to like
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have gone into the user table in mysql db and placed
both 'localhost' and '%' into the host entry. It was
my understanding that '%' would allow access from any
host for that particular username.

Comically enough, most of the time that I go in and do
this editing, I subsequently get out of MySQL, stop
and restart the service and then, of course, it will
not even let me log in.

The error always revolves around the 127.0.0.1.

Here are some of the things which I do to supposedly
secure the MySQL install :

delete from user where User='';
update user set User='NewRootName',
Password=password('NewPassword') where User='root';
update user set host='%' where user='NewRootName';
flush privileges;

I have searched the internet for an answer to my problem and seen
where users are pointed to http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Access_denied.html

But, quite frankly, these instructions must
not be for a Windows OS and simply do not work (or
they assume that the reader has other knowledge that I
do not have.)

Any assistance on this issue will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

JT