Ahh, there's something I could have explained better. Each of the databases
represents a remote office of a different customer. I specifically want/need
to keep the data separate, it doubles as an offsite backup for these offices
as well as would conflict if it were merged. I currently use replication to
get the data from those offices up to my web server but not exactly in the
way it was intended. I just turn on binary logging and a process every 30
minutes or so checks the latest /var/lib/mysql/systemname-bin.nnn to see if
it contains anything and starts up a new binary log file, uses mysqlbinlog
to grab the contents of that one, sends them to the web server, which
integrates them with it's offiste copy. Works great since some offices have
live internet connections and others are dialup, etc...

Now then, I could divvy things up across multiple servers except that that
one largest database is almost as slow at the customers office with live
local (non-web) usage and that server has over 5GB of RAM. Similar specs to
the web server I described otherwise and it only has that ONE database and
not the ones of all the other customers.

Anyway, beyond that, the LVS approach would still involve having 1 master
write server and all the backend "real" servers being readonly (to the
application) and kept updated via replication slaving from the master. Just
across multiple actual databases and not one... From what I've read so far
that is!

Thanks!