On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 08:55:30AM +0200, Richard Fuchs wrote:
> Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:14:37PM +0200, Richard Fuchs wrote:
> >

> >>are there any known issues with this combination, or with mysql 4.0.13
> >>or freebsd 5.1 in general? what could be the cause for this, and how
> >>could it be fixed?
> >

> > You seem to be the first reporting a problem with FreeBSD 5.1 and
> > MySQL.
> >
> > Do you *need* to use 5.1 or could you try 4.8 to see if the problem
> > goes away?  That'd help to narrow it down to eithe MySQL or something
> > specific to FreeBSD 5.1.
>
> no i don't *need* it, but switching os's would mean more downtime while
> possibly not even fixing the problem. and if i were switching os, i
> would probably go to linux anyway...

Well, we have dozens of servers running on 4.8 that haven't had such
problems.  That's why I suggested it.  After all, 4.8 is stable while
5.1 is current.

> i've narrowed the problem down already: i have specified
> "enable-locking" and "skip-name-resolve" in my.cnf now, and i haven't
> had any corruptions for a whole day now. it looks like one of those two
> options fixes the problem. i can't really tell which one of them does
> it, and i don't feel like playing russian roulette trying to find that
> out, so this is my works-for-me case for now...

Interesting.  The skip-name-resolve shouldn't be an issue when using
LinuxThreads.  As for enable-locking, that sounds suspicious.  You
weren't running other proceses outside of MySQL that might work with
the data files (myisamchk, for example), were you?

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 26 days, processed 813,480,202 queries (362/sec. avg)