Shouldn't be a problem..  if you already have a private link between sites
your set, if not drop in a vpn solution to ensure end to end security..

The only main difference betten your situation and most (all servers are
feet apart at LAN speed) is the WAN thruput/etc..   Mysql should keep
re-trying to download updates if it fails due to communications failure or
anything like that..