Well, it is important to remember that SELECT DISTINCT simply restricts
that the WHOLE ROW is distinct, therefore it takes into account all
columns, not just the sessionID column, when deciding if a row is
distinct.

One way to do this would be to do

SELECT sessionID, userID, date, time FROM sti_tracking WHERE sessionID
IN (SELECT DISTINCT sessionID FROM sti_tracking WHERE userID = 99);

Assuming you have MySQL 4.1 that is (which supports subselects).

Regards,
Mike Hillyer
www.vbmysql.com