> Tim:
>
> Assuming that in your ealier posting the 99 was supposed to be 999, then
>  the solution given by Mike Hillyer is excellent and should work.
> However, when I read your new posting, I seem to get confused. The
> scenario sounds totally different - excuse me - from the earlier one and
>  would therefore need a different solution. You might help us by giving
> sample data.
>
> Or is this what you mean by "But I don't want duplicate session numbers
> (one is enough)"? ==> In a single session (sessionID) user 999 (userID
> 999) may visit 3 pages. This results in three inserts being made into
> table sti_tracking all having same sessionID and userID. Correct? When
> retrieving you do not want to retrieve all these three records. Correct?
>  You just want one of the records. Which one? The first, second or third
>  because they each probably have a different time and pageName (even
> date!!). If you did not want the date, time and pageName then the
> solution is simple SELECT DISTINCT userID, sessionID FROM sti_tracking
> WHERE userID = 999.
>
> If you do not care which of the entries (3 in my example) is returned
> and you still want the date, time and pageName (my guess is the first
> will be returned), then you need to generate all the distinct userID and
>  sessionID pairs using the above SQL. Then for each pair (use a loop)
> run  SELECT userID, sessionID, date, time, pageName FROM sti_tracking
> WHERE  userID = {provide from loop} AND sessionID = {provide from loop}
> LIMIT 1.
>
> Peter Aganyo
>
> Tim Winters wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Very sorry to everyone about the confusing message.  I should have read
>> it over again before pressing send.
>>
>>First of all I'm looking for userID 999.  A typo in the message not in
>> the code.
>>
>>The table is set up like this.
>>
>>Table name "sti_tracking"
>>
>>hitID (primary key) (autonumber)
>>userID
>>sessionID
>>date
>>time
>>pageName
>>

>>What it's for is a simple page tracing counter for a FLash site.  Each
>> time a section is accessed a new row is written in the table.
>>
>>userID identifies the user. So if the user comes to the site today and
>> comes back again tomorrow the userID will be maintained.
>>
>>sessionID identifies 1 visit to the site.  During 1 visit a user may
>> view many sections within the site but as long as he doesn't close the
>> browser the session number remains the same.  Date and time will always
>> be different (as will the hitID obviously).
>>
>>So what I want to be able to do is single out a user (999) and retrieve
>> all the sessions he was involved in.  But I don't want duplicate
>> session numbers (one is enough).
>>
>>Make any more sense?

> [...]
--snip--
While I was trying to figure an elegant solution to this I noticed that
you have a separate date and time field.  Is there a reason for this.  It
would be easier to get single row for each sessionID if they were one
field.  Otherwise I think you will have to go with the method Peter
proposed above.

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061