At 14:18 +0100 7/2/03, Idries Hamadi wrote:
Hi all,

I've just started using mysql and I'm sure that my all problems are
something todo with my oracle-ness, so please bear with me if I use
case-insensitive table names or somthing ;)

Ok. I've been using the mysql interactive command-line interface for a few
days now, and there's no problem there. I've made myself a ~/.my.cnf file
and it appears to work:

[client]
user=idries_wedding
password=******

Since creating it I no longer need to enter username or password details
when I run mysql :)

Now, I'm trying to use mysqlimport:

idries ~/src/wedding/database$ mysqlimport idries_Wedding GUEST.txt
mysqlimport: Error: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
(Using password: NO), when using table: GUEST

The problem here actually has to do with how the file is getting read. If you don't specify the --local option, mysqlimport sends a LOAD DATA INFILE statement to the server, and the server itself tries to read the file, using the filename 'GUEST.txt'. That's a relative filename, and no doubt will not be correct in terms of the server's current working directory.

Try this command:

mysqlimport --local idries_Wedding GUEST.txt

mysqlimport should read your .my.cnf file properly.

The problem here seems to be that mysqlimport is not reading the password from the .my.cnf file. I had a similar problem with it not liking the database option to be specified in the .my.cnf file, so I removed that. I have tried several combinations of removing the password from the .my.cnf file and removing the .my.cnf file completly.

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/