I am in the process of setting up replication for my mysql servers, and
had a couple of questions I wanted to clarify.  One of the slaves will
be located in an offsite hotsite, and another local.  The hotsite slave
will only be used to mirror the data, in the event of a failure or
accident at the office, the data is safe in the offsite location.

The local slave will server 2 purposes, and here is where my question
comes in.  Currently I shutdown the mysql server once/night for backups.
When I get the replication in place I would like to do the backups on
the local slave so the master remains up and available 24x7.  So 2-3
times per day the slave would go down run a quick backup and get back to
its slave duties.

When the server goes down for backup, it will pick back up where it was
when it comes back online correct?

I read in the archives that the replication is near instantanous
depending on network connection.  Would it be beneficial for the master
and slave to have an additional network card and the replication be done
over a cross-over cable and therefore out-of-band with the general
network traffic?

What kind of traffic volume is generated with replication, our database
has a pretty steady read/update volume throughout the day and its pretty
much 50/50 read/write.  I do plan to offload some of the reads (such as
for daily reports and informational sites to the slave.

Hopefully this isn't too long, and clear.

--
Woody

In a world without boundaries why
do we need Gates and Windows?