Hi, Nils
I can't get the mysql server to stop! If I try "service mysqld stop" I get a "FAILED" error. If I try mysqladmin -u root -p shutdown, I get:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)'
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

If I try shutting down without using a password, I get a message saying that access is denied; I need shutdown privileges for this operation.

I have pinged the server and it *says* that it is "alive".

Perplexing problem, no?

Kevin

Nils Valentin wrote:
2003年 7月 7日 月曜日 10:28、Nils Valentin さんは書きました:

Hi Kevin,

try this:

1) stop the mysql server
2) mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables
3) mysql -u root
4) mysql> SHOW GRANTS FOR root;
5) GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'root'@'%';

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'secret' WITH GRANT OPTION;

sorry for the mistake.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan

6) restart the server (without --skip-grant-table option) and try to login

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan