Hi, Nils
I was able to stop the mysqld daemon using the kill command. However, when I tried to start it using mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables, a line would appear saying:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

with the cursor blinking at the left-hand side of the screen with apparently nothing going on. The daemon apparently *is* started because I can ping it and get an "alive" signal.

However, when I try granting options to root, I get an Error 1047: unknown command. (in the screen where I start the server, while the cursor is blinking, there will be no command line prompt so I have to open another terminal screen. If I type anything where the cursor is blinking in the first screen, nothing happens).

Best,
Kevin

Nils Valentin wrote:
1) ps ax |grep mysqld

to display the process ID. You will get something like

704 ? SW 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysql/mysql.pid
756 ? S 0:01 /usr/sbin/mysqld-max --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysql/mysql.pid --skip-locking
923 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld-max --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysql/mysql.pid --skip-locking

2) kill -9 <processid)

That WILL stop the mysqld demon. In case you see several processes (which is more likely), just start wit the first processid shown.

3) Check again with "ps ax |grep mysqld" that ALL processes stopped.
4) proceed as described in my previous e-mail.
5) After having setup the rights for the "root" user. you should make sure that all database files are intact (myisamchk etc)

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan