-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 12:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie questions (3) - listeners / BLOB / PHP

Hi I'm from an Oracle background and wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) Have installed mysql 4 on a linux server. If I want to access this from
another machine (i.e. run a MySQL-compliant client), is there a 'listener'
of some sort that has to run on the server where the database is?

MySQL uses port/socket to listen uniquely. No listener as such available. To access
another machine you pass the arguments -p (for port) / -S (for socket) instead of @ to
connect to an instance.

2) Can anyone tell me if MySQL allows the storage of BLOB data?

Yes.

3) What is a good resource for learning about PHP & MySQL 'together'?

php.net & mysql.com

Thanks for any and all pointers - happy to help myself if you can direct me
to where i will find the info.

cheers
Jeremy

---