1. No, especially not MyISAM. In MyISAM, a database (you can compare
that to instance) is just a directory on disk. Every table in this DB
(instance) again is file (well actually 3 files, one for data, one for
metadata, one for index information).

InnoDB looks a bit similar, as it also uses the concept of tablespace.
But you can mix InnoDB types and MyISAM in MySQL.

So actually there are 2 "DB engines" implemented in MySQL (ignoring BDB
for the moment) which can be mixed in one DB. The metadata of this
information (what table belongs to which DB) is stored in MySQL. The
manipulation is then passed to the appropriate DB engine (MyISAM,
InnoDB).

2. Only for InnoDB. The principles for administration apply, but
commands are different. Also it is not 100% the same.

3. You can give this in the init files "my.cnf". Or can change it on
compile time when you compile the DB (which is something I would NOT
advice) (compiling the DB I mean)

4. my.cnf

5. yes, because one server can serve multiple DBs. But like said above,
a DB in MySQL is more like an instance in ORACLE. But you can also start
multiple servers processes (there is even a script for that,
musqld_multi)

6. no. executable are placed in the /bin foldes (depending on
installation). Cannot recall SID anymore, was this the instance config?
If yes, there is none.

Suitable docs: www.mysql.com :)

Cheers
/rudy