On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Eben Goodman wrote:
> This comment confuses me:
> I have seem some sites code that actually open multiple connections to the
> same database..

I have worked on some larger sites that 30+ past and current
developers worked on.. Some good, some terrible..   The code typically starts up 1
database connection and all scripts should use it.. (Correct way)  This
code had programmers using things like DBLibraries, DBIMPTOOL, PHPLIB
Database objects, etc.. to make more connections for their scripts/includes..

Scenario:

1) script starts - 1 connection opened for duration (this should be it!)
2) does some work
3) script gets included that different programmer wrote, they use
DBLibrary object/etc to establish connection to database (current
connections = 2)
4) the madness continues

I've see as many as unique 5 connections to a DB to build 1 output page..
This is not good and required much cleanup.. But it is known to happen on
larger codebases with many wacky developers

> If I am using php's mysql_connect() function, then every time a query is
> run this function gets run.  Wouldn't this mean that for every query a
> new "connection" is opened to the same database?

No mysql_connect opens a handle (connection) .. and all subsequent queries
using mysql_query are routed thru it..