Quoting Jackson Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I need to migrate a 3.23.52 MySQL server to a version with InnoDB (and row
> level locking).  The catch is, I need to do it in a hurry (by the end of the
>
> week).  It is a production system with over 300 users.  Some tables have over
>
> 2,000,000 rows.
>
> The main question I have is should I take this opportunity to upgrade to
> MySQL4, or should I just upgrade to 3.24 with InnoDB support.  I would like
>
> to go to 4 just because I am going to have to do it at some point, but that
>
> raises a few other questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.
>
> Can I install MySQL 4 on a system with MySQL 3.23 and then just switch over
>
> when I have it configured (with the only down time being the time it takes to
>
> move the data).  Are the two versions compatible that I don't need to go
> through that trouble and can just reliably upgrade (via rpm).  Are there any
>
> changes that I need to make to the PHP code running the web app that connects
>
> to MySQL (I can find this one out elsewhere I am sure).
>
> Any help will be appreciated, as will links to documentation/tutorials that I
>
> have missed with Google.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jackson

I recently upgraded our web server from 3.23.56 to 4.0.13  It was already using
INNODB tables in 3.23.56 and the INNODB table space files I did not have to
delete and/or recreate or import. Shut the server down, de-installed 3.23.56,
installed 4.0.13, started it up, all was good.. There is a script to run which
adds some new security options in the users table I think. Other than that it
was a very straight-forward and easy upgrade. Now then, my upgrade was from 3 to
4 with INNODB already in place. Any way you do it, MAKE BACKUPS! Make your
backup with the --opt option to mysqldump which makes importing much faster
whether MyISAM, INNODB or whatever. Someone else will have to confirm, but if
MyISAM tables are as easy of an upgrade you could do the same I did with a
functional 4.0.13 (.14 now I guess, just got the notice it's released today)
with MyISAM tables. You could then later add INNODB table space and convert the
tables over in-place, probably after temporarily taking the web site down until
it completes. As far as the web site, our web applications in PHP required no
changes at all.. YMMV but at least for us it was a painless switch. Row-level
locking is great as well as lots of other things in 4. Check out the query cache
if your web queries ask for the same pieces of data repeatedly with rare changes
to it. The query results will get cached and returned very quickly after the
initial query run...