I need to migrate a 3.23.52 MySQL server to a version with InnoDB (and row
level locking).  The catch is, I need to do it in a hurry (by the end of the
week).  It is a production system with over 300 users.  Some tables have over
2,000,000 rows.

The main question I have is should I take this opportunity to upgrade to
MySQL4, or should I just upgrade to 3.24 with InnoDB support.  I would like
to go to 4 just because I am going to have to do it at some point, but that
raises a few other questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

Can I install MySQL 4 on a system with MySQL 3.23 and then just switch over
when I have it configured (with the only down time being the time it takes to
move the data).  Are the two versions compatible that I don't need to go
through that trouble and can just reliably upgrade (via rpm).  Are there any
changes that I need to make to the PHP code running the web app that connects
to MySQL (I can find this one out elsewhere I am sure).

Any help will be appreciated, as will links to documentation/tutorials that I
have missed with Google.

Thanks,
-Jackson