>Is it me or do these dual athlons seem rather responsive!

Yay!! I win (so far... heh)!
I ran it on one of our servers (not idle... running apache w/ CGIs and db calls ~
140,000 scripts/day )
We are using as many tricks as we can.
        0. mysql 4.0 binary from mysql.com
        1. we set the nice to -15 in safe_mysqld (good trick.. be must be carefull not
to over do it)
        2. my.cnf
                skip-locking
                set-variable  = lower_case_table_names=1
                set-variable  = sort_buffer=50M
                set-variable  = record_buffer=2M
                set-variable  = key_buffer=64M
                set-variable  = query_cache_size=5M
                set-variable  = thread_stack=2K
                set-variable  = thread_cache=8
                set-variable  = thread_concurrency=4
        3. Kernel is custom compiled with minimal drivers. Only
        what hardware is on the system is compiled. No modules.
        4. I think the Athlons just preform better too.