At 03:08 PM 7/23/2003, you wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with setting up large and
fairly high performance databases.  We are looking at setting up
databases with each machine having somewhere between 500 gigs and 2
terabytes along with a slave box and we'd like to backup everything to
tape at a minimum of once a week, but if possible, daily.  We're also
looking at central storage solutions.  However, we're hesitant because
that will result in a (very expensive) single point of failure.  Of
course, we could buy 2, but they are fairly expensive.  Has anyone had
any experience with setups like this?  What kind of backup solutions did
you use?  We aren't too concerned about the CPU usage as our databases
tend to be i/o bound.
--
Joe Shear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Joe,
You didn't mention what control the backup would have over the database tables:

a) MySQL Server can be shut down during backup
b) MySQL Server is Up but backup would have exclusive access to the tables being backed up
c) MySQL Server is Up and other processes have read only access to tables being backed up
d) MySQL Server is Up and other processes have read/write access to the tables being backed up

This will help the people on this newsgroup provide you with the correct answer.

Mike