We don't expect recovery to be shorter than the time it takes for the
hardware to copy the data over.  Restoring from tape should be a
solution that is only needed in the case of a severe problem.  Power
problems are handled by our colo facility, we want to quickly restore
for most hardware problems (disk/machine failures).

We don't actually store any archive/aggregate information.  Everything
we store on the main databases is used on a relatively constant basis.

What we are currently thinking about doing right now is having an
identical master and slave, each with about 500 gigs (later these will
be at about 1TB each).  On a periodic basis, we will take a snapshot
using innodb hotbackup of the master machine that will go to a third box
with a bunch of big raid-5 ide drives.  We were planning on starting
with NFS for the short term since innodb hot backup doesn't go over the
network and figure something else out later.  This machine would then
shutdown the slave, copy over the new snapshot, and restart replication
at the point from the point that innodb hotbackup started running at.
We would also take the snapshot from the IDE box, and write it to tape
at this point.  Any thoughts on this?  What are you doing?

One issue we have is that we are trying to plan out our setup for
storing a total of about 25TB of data and we are trying to find the
lowest cost solution, with decent reliability.

--
Joe Shear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>