Dathan Vance Pattishall wrote:

RAID-5 is cool, RAID-1+0 (10) is better for writes.
Your defiantly are going to be IO bound. I would go with many smaller
disks >= 20 disk, in multiple RAID-1+0 configurations on different
channels or better yet different RAID controllers.

Well I do not have the luxury. Money is already spent. Well there is no other way to change any of these things.
This whole system will only act for readonly purpose. There will be not much of updates will be going on.
Only for read with lots of filtering. Sorting is not a priority. Only for retreiving data with multiple conditions.
some of the fields are indexed. some of them are not. but those will also be used in the where condition.

Reason by example:
Sun T3 with 7 drives. I'm IO bound with a read heavy 2 Gb where most of
the data is in memory. I'm transferring 15Mb a second of read traffic.

Please explain.

Thanks Again
Chandra