Hello Nils,

thanks for your answer. :)

First for the localhost entry. You will define a grant command like [...]
Then for the remote connection you use [...]

Right, that is somewhere in the online docu in the area of "adding a user"
I prefer just to have the needed ports open rather than to filter the unwanted traffic coming in through a hole that won't ever see wanted traffic.

I haven't heard or read of the possibility to choose the network device to connect to. While I undestand what you are thinking I don't think that's pracical.

There is a parameter "bind-address" where you can bind mysqld to one specific IP.

My problem was that my my.ini lacked another parameter since it is not mentioned in the configuration sample files.

On Windows 2000 "enable-named-pipe" lets the commandline interface mysql connect to the local mysqld via named-pipe similarly to "socket = /tmp/mysql.sock" on UNIX.
Now 127.0.0.1 isn't needed at all.

Problem solved.
Sorry for having bothered the list.   :(

Have a nice day :)